Happy Friday! Any exciting weekend plans? If you have an extra hour and haven't checked out WNYC's new comedy podcast 2 Dope Queens yet, I'd highly recommend it. The show's first episode -- Dad Bods [April 5, 57 minutes] -- is this week's standout pick! And it's hilarious.
Hosts and BFFs Phoebe Robinson (who consults for Broad City) and Jessica Williams (of The Daily Show fame) take listeners into their live comedy showcase, where they tell stories from their everyday lives (like their experiences with racist cab drivers or their trip to a Billy Joel concert) and invite their funny friends to do the same. Dad Bods features three great comedians -- Aparna Nancherla, Gary Gulman, and Michelle Buteau -- who tell stories about cat-calling, unlikely role playing, and breaking things off with first loves. The second episode is out already and it's equally great. If you haven't yet, I'd highly recommend checking the new show out. I can tell it's going to be a new favorite of mine.
These five new podcast episodes were also fantastic this week...
- The Bikers from Embedded [April 7, 35 minutes]. Host Kelly McEvers dives into the world of biker gangs to find out what exactly happened in the notorious Waco, Texas shootout that killed nine and injured twenty last year.
- Everything in its Right Place from Memory Motel [April 4, 33 minutes]. The show's second episode beautifully explores the relationship between memory and ordinary objects, taking us into The Museum of Broken Relationships and The Significant Object Project.
- Good Cop, Bad Cop from Millennial [April 2, 30 minutes]. Host Megan Tan brings us on her adventures in used car buying, sharing honest fears about loans and dropping her entire life savings along the way.
- Patient #11-A-7 (Caleb) from The Bright Sessions [April 6, 16 minutes]. I've been looking forward to Caleb's session for a while, and it did not disappoint. Really excited to hear where his relationship with Adam goes.
- Sacred Operator from ARRVLS [April 7, 27 minutes]. Fascinating stories from a professional tarot reader, who admits there's something sleazy -- but also something oddly spiritual -- about his work.
And finally, if you're in the browsing mood, these links from around the web made me smile this week...
- The FiveThirtyEight Elections podcast is coming live to DC!
- So is Call Your Girlfriend!
- "Whatever dude, I'm just the right amount of me." -- Phoebe Robinson (host of 2 Dope Queens!)
- Why podcasts are the perfect medium for fictional thrillers.
- And the reason they're the future of storytelling.
- Women in podcasting -- have you heard about Werk It?