Happy Friday! Any exciting weekend plans? If you have an extra thirty minutes, I'd highly recommend checking out A Good Surrogate Is Hard To Find from No One Knows Anything [April 28, 34 minutes]. It's this week's standout pick! And it's really good. No One Knows Anything is the brand new politics podcast out of BuzzFeed, and its first two episodes have both been fantastic. The show is not like other political podcasts I've heard. Instead of talking aimlessly about what's happening in the presidential election right now, host Evan McMorris-Santoro dives deep into a specific topic.
The first episode focuses on the fundraising revolution the Sanders campaign has started, and the second one is all about the star surrogates who are recruited to stump on behalf of the candidates (like George Clooney, Bill Clinton, Susan Sarandon, Ben Carson, and Gloria Steinem). Evan reflects on the embarrassing gaffes they've been making with BuzzFeed politics editor Katherine Miller, and he talks with two former staffers on the Rubio team who were tasked with finding and prepping campaign surrogates. Their conversations are fascinating to hear. If you haven't heard No One Knows Anything yet, I'd highly recommend checking it out. Even those who aren't political enthusiasts will enjoy its unique take on the presidential election, I think.
If you're in the listening mood, these six new episodes were also fantastic this week:
- Abraham Lincoln: His hand and his pen from Presidential [April 24, 54 minutes]. Lincoln's love of language and gift for leadership are celebrated perfectly in the episode I've been awaiting for months.
- Diane Guerrero on Debt and Deportation from Death, Sex & Money [April 27, 27 minutes]. Actress Diane Guerrero (of Orange is the New Black and Jane the Virgin fame) tells host Anna Sale what it's like to have your parents deported when you're only 14 years old.
- On the Edge from Radiolab [April 21, 43 minutes]. In her final Olympic performance, rebellious figure skater Surya Bonaly takes a chance with a move that's never been done on the ice before.
- Reflections, Releases, & Recalibrations: New Orleans, pt. 2 from Revivalism [April 22, 33 minutes]. Day four of the month-long road trip is a rough one for the crew, but Carlie's reflections on it are beautiful to listen to.
- The Accidental Gay Parents, 3 from The Longest Shortest Time [April 26, 33 minutes]. Trystan and John's journey takes an exciting turn in part three of their dramatic story as accidental parents.
- Unseen City from 99% Invisible [April 26, 29 minutes]. Required listening for city dwellers. The creatures we share our streets with (squirrels, pigeons, even weeds) are a lot more interesting than I ever imagined.
And finally, these seven links from around the web made me smile (or cry)...