Happy Friday to you! Any exciting weekend plans? I'm definitely checking out Fruit, the new podcast from Issa Rae that's exclusive to Howl (this preview sealed the deal). And now that the snow's melted away, I'm also looking forward to a trail run or two.
If you've got an extra hour, I'd highly recommend checking out Snap LIVE! in NYC from Snap Judgment. Act one came from comedian Jen Kober who hilariously told the story of the time she ate 144 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. And act two made me embarrassingly weepy on the train as award-winning storyteller Josh Healey spoke about the women who raised him and the tough decision he and his girlfriend made when they were college students. It was fantastic. And it's my standout pick of the week!
If you're in the listening mood, these six episodes were close contenders...
- One Doctor's Mission from Only Human. [Feb. 2, 21 minutes] An eye-opening conversation with Willie Parker, a devout Christian doctor who's one of a few to provide safe abortions in the Deep South.
- The Long Runway from Quiet: The Power of Introverts with Susan Cain. [Feb. 4, 23 minutes] Episode one is here! And it was well worth the wait. Fellow introverts, friends of introverts, and especially parents of introverts, this one's for you.
- Smashing Pumpkins from Outside/In. [Feb. 3, 23 minutes] How an innocent 24-year-old pumpkin festival tore apart the town of Keene, New Hampshire.
- Erica's Beauty Routine from A Few Things with Claire and Erica. [Feb. 3, 47 minutes] A thorough debriefing of the daily self-care routine of Erica, podcast host and co-founder of the brilliant site Of a Kind.
- Yoga & Dogs & The Monster Mash from Dog. a podcast. [Feb. 1, 17 minutes] A conversation with renowned photographer Dan Borris, who captures truly adorable shots of dogs doing yoga.
- Day 01, Adnan Syed's Hearing (and Day 02!) from Serial. [Feb. 4 and 5, 16 minutes each] Daily updates from host Sarah Koenig, who's attending Adnan Syed's ongoing Baltimore hearing. Required listening for those who were captivated by the show's first season.
And finally, these links from around the web made me smile:
- This Twitter thread about Sacagawea's life was the best thing I read on the internet all week.
- And this video explaining red dwarfs was the best I watched. The first five seconds blew me away!
- This is what I'll be doing on Super Bowl Sunday.
- Everything that's new on Netflix this month.
- Have you heard of Here Active Listening earbuds? I'm intrigued.