Happy Friday, everyone! Any fun weekend plans? I'm looking forward to a hike or two as usual, plus the Oscars! I haven't watched all of the nominated films yet, but I'm hoping to squeeze a few in tomorrow. And on Sunday, I'll be rooting hard for this amazing movie.
If you're feeling the excitement too, I'd recommend checking out The Oscars Omnibus from Pop Culture Happy Hour. It's this week's standout pick! Linda Holmes, Stephen Thompson, Glen Weldon, and Bob Mondello chat about the best picture nominees, the acting contenders who deserve it most, and the movies that didn't make the cut but should have. And as always, their final segment -- What's Making Us Happy -- was so much fun to hear. After listening, I added a ton of items to my must-see / must-read list, including the movie Tangerine (made on an iPhone!), ABC's show American Crime, and the book Party of One, coming soon from Dave Holmes.
If you're in the listening mood, these six podcast episodes were also fantastic this week:
- That's One Way to Do It from This American Life. [Feb. 21, 1 hour] A young Donald Trump supporter comes to terms with the real reason he supports his campaign.
- Father's Day from Radio Rookies. [Feb. 20, 12 minutes] Marvin's story about young fatherhood gave me goosebumps.
- Glare of the spotlight from Reveal. [Feb. 22, 54 minutes] Required listening for those who have and haven't seen the movie Spotlight. It takes us behind the scenes of the movie's investigation.
- K-poparazzi from Radiolab. [Feb. 24, 38 minutes] A look at the K-pop world and its very first paparazzi shots, which actually changed the industry for the better.
- In Darkness and In Light from Modern Love. [Feb. 24, 20 minutes] A heartbreaking but hopeful story from a woman who's slowly going blind. Don't skip the interview at the end.
- Live from SF! and Melinda Gates from Call Your Girlfriend. [Feb. 26, 38 minutes] The show's first live recording, plus a conversation about unpaid labor with the brilliant Melinda Gates.
Finally, these links from around the web made me smile this week...