Hi and happy Friday! Any exciting plans for the holiday weekend? If you're feeling the Valentine's Day love, be sure to check out this roundup of ten great listens. And if you're more of a Presidents' Day fan, stay tuned for a few podcast recommendations coming your way on Monday morning.
If you've got an extra thirty minutes this weekend, definitely check out Cheryl Strayed - Stealing from The Tell Show. It's this week's standout pick! The Tell Show is a brand new podcast out of Buzzfeed's network that's all about the joys of oversharing. Each week, a new guest will join hosts Summer Anne Burton and Isaac Fitzgerald to share a story they haven't told many people before. Cheryl Strayed was a fantastic first guest. She told a story from her teenage years, when her mom invited a mysterious cowboy to stay with her family while his injured horse recovered. Episode one was a strong start from this new podcast, and I'm really looking forward to hearing more next week.
If you're in a listening mood, these five episodes were also pretty incredible:
- Alexis Wilkinson: Let Me Work It Out from She Does. [Feb. 10, 39 minutes] An interview with comedian Alexis Wilkinson, who's currently writing for the fantastic show Veep.
- The Plunge from Modern Love. [Feb. 10, 23 minutes] A touching story of high school love beautifully read by Dakota Fanning.
- Claire's Beauty Routine from A Few Things with Claire and Erica. [Feb. 10, 50 minutes] Part two of the podcast's self-care series -- a must-listen if you tuned in to last week's episode.
- On the Chopping Block from The Intern. [Feb. 9, 26 minutes] Intern Allison Behringer goes back in time to talk about the ups and downs of working for a start-up.
- Sick on the inside: Behind bars in immigrant-only prisons from Reveal. [Feb. 8, 54 minuts] An infuriating but important listen on medical negligence in America's private prison system for immigrants.
And finally, these five links from around the web made me smile this week...